These raisin-packed squares have the flavour of individual butter tarts, but are quicker and easier to make.
- oil for baking pan
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup corn syrup
- 2 cups raisins
- Preheat oven to 350F. Lightly oil a 9×13-in. baking pan. Stir 1 1/2 cups flour with brown sugar and butter in a bowl until well blended. Press mixture firmly into the bottom of prepared pan. Bake in centre of oven until light brown and set, 12 to 14 min. Transfer to a rack to cool slightly.
- Whisk eggs with vanilla and salt in a bowl until foamy. Whisk in granulated sugar. With a wooden spoon, gradually beat in remaining 1/2 cup flour. Stir in corn syrup and raisins. Pour filling over base.
- Return to oven, baking until the edges start to pull away from the sides of the pan, 20 to 23 more min. Transfer to a rack to cool completely. The squares will sink slightly and the filling will set when cool.
- Store, covered, in the refrigerator for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 6 months.