These are recipes that I have found in magazines, online or off of food packaging that I have yet to try but I think sound either fun to try or yummy as heck =)
Saturday, 23 February 2013
This is good stuff. Perhaps you've tried or at least seen it before. I think the salt on the crisp crackers combined with the rich, semi-sweet chocolate and crunchy, buttery toffee makes for the perfect candy, any minute of any day of any month of any year. It's probably best to save it for the holidays, however, unless you want to add some more junk to your trunk. Soooo good!
1 cup unsalted butter (no margarine allowed)
1 cup brown sugar, packed tightly
2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
40 saltine crackers
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Line a 15x10-inch jelly roll pan or a 12x17-inch cookie sheet with foil and spray with non-stick spray. Lay a flat layer of crackers out on the foil.
3. Melt the sugar and butter until a boil is reached. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5-6 minutes or until mixture is thickened and sugar is completely dissolved. Pour this mixture over the crackers and spread to coat evenly.
4. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the toffee becomes bubbly.
5. After removing the pan from the oven, let it sit for 3-5 minutes. Sprinkle on the chocolate chips, let them soften and melt, and then spread them into an even layer. (You can add nuts, cracker crumbs, or whatever else floats your boat at this point.)
6. Let cool and, if desired to speed up the process, refrigerate until hardened. Break into pieces to the size of your choice.