Rhubarb Buttermilk Tea Cake
1 1/2c ~ all purpose flour
1 tsp ~ baking soda
1/4 tsp ~ salt
1 ~ egg
1c ~ brown sugar
1/2c ~ buttermilk
1/4c ~ vegetable oil
1 tsp ~ vanilla
2c ~ chopped rhubarb
1/2c ~ chopped pecans
1c ~ sifted icing sugar
5 tsp ~ lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spray bottom of 8 x 4 in loaf pan
2. Stir flour with baking soda and salt in a medium bowl
3. In a separate large bowl, whisk egg with brown sugar, buttermilk, oil and vanilla. Then
stir in the flour mixture. Add rhubarb and pecans and stir until combined. Scrape batter
in pan for 10 mins.
4. Bake in centre of the oven until a cake tester inserted in centre, comes out clean. Approx
70-75 mins. Transfer to a rack to cool for 10 mins.
5. Stir icing sugar with lemon juice in a small bowl, adding juice 1 tsp at a time until thick and
smooth. Drizzle glaze over warm loaf, letting it run down the sides.
You can use frozen rhubarb if fresh isn't available, just make sure its thawed first.